How to pick a winning pokie machine? Well, thanks to the massive number of releases each month, we can find a game that suits you individually. Navigating this sea is not difficult. All you need to know is your goals, playing style, and game features to make the right choice.
We’ll take a look at the RTP and variance. We’ll find out how to choose a slot machine to your liking and learn how to manage your budget. Let’s rock!
How to pick a winning pokie machine Australia using RTP and variance
All pokies return a percentage of the bets placed on them. Most of the money deposited in the game is given back to the visitors. However, Return to the Player is a sign for the long perspective. It does not tell you exactly how much money you will get during the game session.
Nevertheless, the higher the RTP, the higher the chances of getting winnings. Therefore, it is worth choosing games with the maximum parameter. If you want to win more often, look out for slots with an RTP greater than 96%.
You will find out about the return rate on specialized websites dedicated to slots features. SlotCatalog, for example, or game manufacturer websites. Let’s say you want to check out a new release from NetEnt or Booming Games. Please go to SlotCatalog or the provider’s website and read the game description.
Variance as a critical parameter
Along with this parameter, you need to consider variance. It is a parameter that shows the magnitude and frequency of wins.
- High variance says that the game pays out rarely but with significant portions—examples: Book of Dead, Reactoonz, Dead or Alive, Hot Fiesta.
- Low variance signals small winnings, but you get them often enough—examples: Starburst, Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen, Booming Bananas.
This figure also does not guarantee that you will get an exact amount of winnings during the playing session. Nevertheless, you can roughly estimate your budget and expect an appropriate payout frequency.
How to pick a pokie Australia using your play style
How to pick a winning pokie machine in Australia that would be best for your style and taste? For starters, go for the variance indicator.
- Do you prefer a gambling hunt for winnings? Do you have the budget to withstand a long losing streak? Then choose high variance slot machines.
- Want to have a good time and win often? Then low variance is a good choice.
Also, pay attention to the structure of the chosen games. Yes, gaming products today have an almost endless variety. Nevertheless, you can be guided by some general principles.
The three-reel pokies near me now most often offer big jackpots because they have few other features. Their gameplay can be described as monotonous, and they often have high variance with rare payouts. At the same time, they take less money to bet. If you’re on a tight budget, you can stretch it further with three-reel games.
Games that have 5 or more reels have a variety of different features:
- Special symbols — wilds and scatters which can move, expand, hold and lock, multiply winnings, reward free spins, etc.;
- Bonus rounds like free spins, re-spins, locked reels, spins with multipliers, pick’em games, the risk for doubling, etc.;
- Cascading wins, megaways, energy collecting, mini-quests, and so on.
All of these features are also listed on specialized websites. These games usually have low variance and allow you to win often while having a good time.
How to pick the right pokie machine and budget
How to pick the right pokie machine not to lose? One solution is to manage your budget correctly. These gambling games have a huge advantage in favor of the casino so that you can lose a lot of money on them.
Therefore, the basic rule is to spend only your spare money.
You also determine the size of your bankroll per session. You can follow a scheme where the bankroll is x10 of your average bet. It is the budget for 1 slot. Or you can determine a budget for about a 3-hour gambling session: x250 to your average stake.
Here’s a sample 3-hour pattern targeting specific slots:
- Slot with minimum bet (1 cent) and 30 lines: $75-300;
- Medium betting slot (5 cents) and 20 lines: up to $1,250;
- 1 Line High Stakes Slot: $60-$750.
Demo versions to set your budget
Use the demo poker machines free games to see how quickly your bankroll is spent and replenished. The free demos are precisely the same as the paid ones. But you do not deposit any real money, and you do not withdraw any winnings either. The primary purpose of these games is to give an idea of the slot and help you choose the best strategy.
Free poker machines are available at good online casinos and information websites. Be sure to try out the new releases in the demo. Perhaps the new release will become your favorite slot!